Hands up if you're posting, following, liking and sharing on LinkedIn but getting nothing in return. We know it's frustrating, but we're here to help. This blog is for those of you who are feeling overwhelmed by all of this social media insanity. Here are some simple and effective solutions for those who haven't got a clue where to start when it comes to getting more followers and increasing your engagement on LinkedIn.
1. Optimise Your Company's LinkedIn Page
First impressions count. When meeting someone for the first time, you only have a tenth of a second before your new encounter judges you on traits like trustworthiness. The same goes for your company's LinkedIn page. If you want your visitors to click the follow button, your page must have:
- An engaging and current LinkedIn banner.
- A descriptive bio that includes relevant keywords.
- An 'About' section that portrays the human aspect and values of your company.
- Regular posts that contain relevant and beneficial content.
2. Use Your Employees to Boost Your Engagement
Your employees can help to boost your LinkedIn engagement and following in these four ways:
- Make sure all your employees add your company as their workplace; this will automatically make them followers.
- Encourage your team to keep their eyes open when scrolling LinkedIn. Get them to screenshot or send you the links to content that sparks an interest.
- Ask your employees to regularly share the link to your company page from their personal LinkedIn accounts.
- Every time you post on LinkedIn, copy the sharing link and email it to your entire team with the subject line: Like and Share. It will take less than ten seconds.
The LinkedIn algorithm loves when a post quickly receives likes because it categorises the content as highly relevant and useful. So, get your team on the like-train asap!
3. Post to Your Followers Regularly
Just like the saying if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. If your content isn't valuable or relevant to your following, don't post it. We recommend partaking in a good old-fashioned brainstorm to establish the type of content you need to be generating.
This can be a little tricky for recruitment agencies because you're targeting two demographics, candidates and clients. Your clients won't want to follow your page if you're only posting job ads, will they? So how do you ensure you're at the front of mind for someone looking for a job, as well as someone looking to build their team?
You're in luck because there are a few ways!
- Be a problem solver. Start by writing a list of the most significant pain points your job seekers, and your clients experience on a day-to-day basis and base your content around this.
- Make your job ad postings exciting. We know it's important to be posting jobs on the daily, but if they're on the bland side, your clients might get sick of seeing them. Using imagery and video are effective ways to spice up your posts and improve engagement levels.
- Set up Google alerts specific to your industry. After you've set your alert you will receive relevant content straight to your inbox. Have a browse each morning and look for interesting topics that will spark conversation.
4. Engage Your Current Followers
There's little point looking for new followers while you're ignoring your current ones. Make sure you're responding to all comments, as well as actively liking and sharing your following's posts. Posting content that asks a question is an effective way to boost engagement, and it's also a great way to generate content ideas.
Ask your audience what they want to see from you or what they're interested in learning. In the beginning, you might not receive much attention, but don't get discouraged. The companies with the most significant followings and engagement levels all have one thing in common, and that is, consistency.
Every company starts with zero followers, but if you commit to consistently and strategically posting good quality and relevant content, your following is guaranteed to grow.
5. Use video to Boost Company Awareness
Video is where it's at! We could go on about this all day, so instead, let us quickly throw some stats at you:
• 6 out of 10 people would rather watch online videos than television.
• Viewers retain 95% of a message when they watch it in a video, compared to 10% when reading it in text.
• 92% of users watching video on mobile will share it with others.
• Using video has been shown to increase LinkedIn engagement by 800%.
Video isn't going anywhere, and the way we see it, you can join in now or play catch up later! Recruiters know that people buy people. Through using video, your team can break down the recruiter stereotype and effectively get their personality in front of prospective clients and candidates.
6. Ask People to Follow You
If you haven't already, use the LinkedIn Company Plugin to put a follow button on your website. We recommend placing it in the header of your homepage to make sure it gets as many eyes on it as possible.
Next up, join as many industry-relevant groups as possible. Here, you can share your content, knowledge and stories. The more you interact with other people and companies, the more they will trust you, and chances are they'll want to check out your company page. You can even be as bold as to post the link to your company page and ask people to take a look or offer feedback.
7. Monitor Your LinkedIn Analytics
Timing is everything! Even the best piece of content will suffer in the 'like' department if posted at the wrong time. LinkedIn offers incredibly useful data on the optimum time to post.
You can use the analytics function on your company LinkedIn page to determine which posts are most successful. By monitoring which posts receive the most likes, shares and overall engagement, you can gauge what your audience finds useful and use this to influence your upcoming content generation.
Increasing your social presence is time-consuming, and will be an on-going task, but it can also be a lot of fun. To ensure you or another employee isn't drowning in the pressure of your daily posting, share the job amongst your team. The more people you can get involved, the easier and more enjoyable it will be.
Video is the future of agency recruitment. It's revolutionising the way agencies operate and interact with clients and candidates and ultimately, how they generate new business. Hinterview allows you to record and share video interviews, engage with top candidates and introduce yourself to prospective clients without the need for endless calls and emails. We're helping our clients secure more exclusive and retained business than ever before. While at the same time, enabling recruiters to engage with their audience in an effective and personal way that previously wasn't possible.